Sender:
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:15:29 -0600
From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
On 1/31/07, Laura Bell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>As for the education for RMs I had to design my own for the government
>one.  Now we have the Federal RM certification from NARA, the CRM and
>others out there.  It just gets more confusing.

A note of clarification - NARA's training is focused on federal
recordkeeping requirements, although some of the principles taught can be
applied to all RM programs.  I'm not knocking the NARA training; it serves
its purpose.  The Certified Records Manager (CRM) credential has a formal
application process but no formal training requirement.  The ICRM does not
officially sanction any training course (and if someone says theirs is,
challenge them on the statement), although it does unofficially
support seminars offered by such groups as Orange County, the Southwest
Region and others that prepare individuals for the exam process.

My earlier comment referred to formal programs, such as the one Sheri and
Cherise (I stand corrected!) attended.  Unfortunately, when Dr. Mark
retired, the BBA Degree (with emphasis in RIM) at UND faded away.  I'm not
aware of any undergraduate degree programs in records and
information management, although I've seen a few that offer a Certification
in RIM.   I know of some schools offer a degree which  includes RIM courses,
but these are few and far between.

Every once in a while I get asked "how does one become a records manager?"
My usual reply is "you get thrown into a position and learn through trial
and error," at which point I get a funny look.  Until we get RIM recognized
as a body of knowledge and taught at the university level (with an
associated degree program), I just don't see us being taken seriously.  Of
course I could be wrong as I occasionally am (a lot, if you ask my wife :>))
but don't think so in this case.

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Houston, TX