Sender:
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 21:00:56 -0700
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Alicia,

You're certainly not the only hybrid out here (said the former software
tester with the BA in political science who teaches records management). I
agree that the generalizations from last week were a bit unfortunate - and
so was my question regarding managing email that at least contributed to the
confusion.

I think it's absolutely critical that we develop more of you "hybrids". I
don't know that there are very many people who can be e.g.
CRM/CDIA+/MCSE/PMP certified, and attend business school on the side (though
those who know me know I'm trying :) ) but I agree that there are some in
the IT community who know how to do the RM side at least capably, and at the
same time there are some (not enough!) in the RM community who are
comfortable with the technologies that produce and manage electronic
records.

I think as we look ahead to the information management professional of 2010,
that person will increasingly look like the hybrid you exemplify. Those who
don't have some basic capabilities in IT, and RM, and project management,
and business, will be marginalized and relegated to the file clerk and
backup tape technician positions. So for all those professionals out there,
and if you're on this list you're one of them - you have two charges between
now and then:

1. Learn as much as you can about IT, project management, and business. Take
classes. Write articles. Attend presentations on topics you know nothing
about, rather than the same old presentations you saw last year. Teach
presentations on things you know nothing about TODAY - and make sure you
rectify that before your presentation. Ask questions of the list, or
privately to the people on the list. The vast majority of us are happy to
help, and speaking as an evil consultant, I won't even spam you mercilessly
for business thereafter. If you're not comfortable talking to IT, get there.

2. Teach your fellow IT, project managers, and business users and leaders
what they need to know about RM. Use RAIN to your advantage. Leverage the
resources available from your local ARMA chapter, the IMJ, and your fellow
listservers. Use the opportunity of the new FRCP to your advantage - I
guarantee you IT is and the vendors and consultants are.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms
IMERGE Consulting
Yahoo! IM: jessewilkins8511
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
Looking for the latest education on electronic records, email, and imaging?
Visit http://www.imergeconsult.com/schedule2.html for a current schedule of
courses.