Sender:
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 13:08:08 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 2/9/07, Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Does that NARA study/number reflect government records (since NARA deals
> mostly/almost exclusively in that realm) or is that a general term.  My
> anecdotal though is that in the non-governmental organizations I've dealt
> with, what is considered archival (enduring, historic, or intrinsic) may
> be
> a higher percentage than this figure, exclusive of the original need to
> retain the information, be it regulatory or functional.

It's definitely Fed, but it includes all work done by Contractors for the
Feds as well, seeing as ultimately, it all gets sent to NARA if it has a
Permanent retention or is unscheduled, and other long-term retention
"Federal Records" are supposed to be sent in blocks of time as well.  It's
interesting to note that much of what gets sent to NARA isn't RETAINED by
NARA, as they assess it's "value" on receipt and make a determination of
whether to retain or not, and they DO NOT have to go back to the submitting
agency and ask for approval prior to destruction.

Enjoy the weekend all - We have the cold weather and now the mid-range
> forecast calls for more than just a dusting of snow here in the DC area!
> I'll believe it when I see it.

You too... windy and wet here in the SF Bay Area, but boy oh boy, do we need
it!

Larry

-
Larry Medina