Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 05:32:52 -0800
From:
Alan Andolsen <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Patrick Cunningham writes:

About the Institute of Management Consultants that grants the Certified
Management Consultant [CMC] designation:

> The IMC boasts 10,000+ members, yet I can only think of a couple that I
> have ever met -- both of whom were in our profession. Keep in mind that
> I have worked for consulting firms for the past ten years. That tells
> me that either the folks who have it rarely point to it, or it tends to
> be out of the mainstream.

As one of the two RIM CMCs, some clarifications:

The Institute of Management Consultants (IMC) is one of 42 national
professional associations and certifying bodies for management consultants.
The US Institute has1,700 certified members.  Many are solo consultants.
Some major US firms, such as Deloitte, encourage their consultants to
achieve the CMC.

Each country certifies its own resident consultants, but those consultants
who achieve the designation Certified Management Consultant for technical
competence and professional conduct (more than 12,000 worldwide) enjoy
global reciprocity [that is, the ability to conduct management consulting
projects in the 42 countries with all the rights and obligations that are
enjoyed/assumed by consultants from that country] through the designation.

The global standards for the CMC are set by the International Council of
Management Consulting Institutes (ICMCI).

> In looking at all of these certifications, certificates, and whatnot, I
> notice that virtually all of them can be attained in one sitting.

Not so for the CMC:

Experience - Three years in practice as a full-time consultant, with major
management responsibility

Education - Degree from a four-year college

References - Five satisfactory references from officers or executives of
client organizations

Engagements - Written summaries of five previous client assignments and
discussion with panel of CMCs.

Application - Written response to an engagement case study and presentation
to a panel of CMCs

Competence - Qualifying written examination and oral review by senior CMCs
to demonstrate your professional competence and currency in areas of
specialization, application of experience, and understanding of the
management consulting process and common body of knowledge

Ethics - Written examination and oral interview on the IMC Code of Ethics
and ethical aspects of consulting.

Much more comparable to the CRM, no?

Al

--