Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:31:26 -0500
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Computer Question?

I am buying a whole new Apple Computer, Airport Router, Wireless,
Server for disk to disk storage but they tell me that the password
protection on the router/computer will act as a firewall. The
technical rep pointed out that all viruses that have tried to attack
the computers have required the Owner to actually take a confirming
action and no self actuating viruses have yet taken over or
destructed any MACs.  (My own experience for 18 years shows this has
been true for me.)

But has anyone on this List with an Apple product ever really put in
a robust firewall program on their own or gone to any encryption.
Every other department in our company (which uses PCs)  has had
experiences with new worms, bugs, viruses, pfishing, etc. but I
happily go on.  But now with MAC daring the world to create a virus I
want to step it up.

Also, I can't see any reason to activate the partition to include the
Windows/PC side with the dual Intel processor.  If I have gone this
long with out needing PC technology is there anything there that I
now should consider.  The new records management function of
Microsoft is of interest but I have heard negative things about it.

Also, I want to useless the lap top in the field to where it needs to
go to the main office computer to get anything sensitive so if my
laptop is stolen, all I will lose is the application software not the
real information I want to keep confidential.

So for a non-techy, what should I consider from those of you using MACs?

Hugh