Sender:
From:
Susan Beamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 13:18:02 -0700
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
05/22/2007 11:40 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: retention question

<Two questions.
1 - Are the payment records combined with the sales packets/bid docs
considered the whole "record" of the contract/sale?>

Yes.

  <If so, then the
"record" should be retained for the longest applicable required time -
10 years.>

<2. Does the law regarding contracts (and payment records) require the
payment records to be filed separately or retained for a separate time
period?  That is, does the law require destruction of the payment
records at a certain time OR does it simply require them to be kept a
minimum amount of time (i.e. 6 years - your 7 years)?>

Doesn't designate how to file, just how long to retain.

< If it is just a
minimum, then keeping them for 10 years would not violate the law.>

<It may be more costly (the business need) to constantly weed through the
two record series every year to destroy one or the other based on
separate retention values.  The other option is to file them separately
in order to apply the appropriate retention, but then you've added to
the burden of retrieving the complete record of a contract/sale when it
is needed.>

I agree with your summary about culling, filing separately, or retrieving
from two different boxes, etc.

I am more concerned about the availability (discovery) of the payment
records from years 8-10 if the whole packet is kept for the entire 10
years.  Would that be a problem?  Also, if the rest of payment records
(for non-sales packets/bid docs) are 7 years, does that make it look like
we aren't consistent?  If it is ok to have two different retentions for
basically the same type of series (payment docs), then I can note the
difference of the retentions in the schedule.  Susan

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division