Sender:
From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 16:23:39 -0700
We are a national company with 25 divisions. I am in the process of
updating our company-wide retention schedule and have moved from a
departmental to a functional schedule and am trying to reduce the number
of series by combining records of similar types and retention periods. I
am having a bit of a brain freeze, though, over how to indicate Office
of Record. Across the company most of the work is very similar so the
record series apply pretty much across the board. However, each division
has its departments set up differently -- from what the department is
called to which department is responsible for a particular stage of the
process. For example, some of divisions have a department called
Warranty, other call it Customer Care. Some Divisions have a certain
process handled by the Sales and Marketing staff, others by the Design
Center. Then there are a couple of series (like Licenses), where it just
depends on who the licensing agency is as to which department keeps it.

How do I indicate an Office of Record for a record series if it changes
from division to division? I certainly don't want to list each division
and what department it should be. I have been listing the one I think is
most common, and telling divisions that they may annotate that they have
a different department, stressing that they need to make sure to
designate only one department to maintain any given series. The biggest
challenge is the series like the Licenses -- I don't even know what to
say for those.

Nolene
Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes
| 949-727-9360 | FAX 949-789-3379 | [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>