Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 14:24:10 -0700
From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Here is how you establish retention policy for information:

Operational/Administrative  (reference value)
Fiscal, if any  (accounting, finance, audit, if any)
Regulatory, if any   (PUBLISHED federal, state, or local regulatory
requirements, if any)
Legal, if any          (general counsel advice, considerations for
statutes of limitations, if any)
Historic, if any   (for the very small percentage of info that
documents history)

The retention policy for any given record series will be the longest of
the above considered, researched, and evaluated retention values.

That's it in a nutshell.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 5/30/2007 2:13 PM >>>
Hello Everyone fro the home of the Calgary Stampede! This is my first
letter to the group.

I am reaching the end of a records & classification project and have
captured retentions for board minutes and environmental meeting
minutes.
When it comes to meeting minutes from various departments like
production accounting or records management, can I consider these as
transitory records? I am unable to pinpoint any citations covering
retention of such minutes so Iam tempted to just impose a business
practice of a relatively short period like one year.

Any thoughts on this?

Joy Groves

Supervisor, Records Management

Daylight Energy Trust