Sender:
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 08:48:51 -0400
From:
"Piotrowski, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
We consider department meeting minutes an asset to be maintained for 3
years. Notes from meetings are destroy at option. This is a best
business practice and not a law, rule or regulation.

This has more to do with knowledge management than records management.
It is our experience that minutes (if done well...big if) can document
decisions (and the reasons for the decisions) which can aid the
department further down the road. However, it seems that after 3 years
the asset's value tails off as it is used less and less for reference
over time.

We have considered it extending it to ten+ years for the following
reason: A good chunk of our workforce will retire in the next 5-10 years
and the record of decisions made in departments may be a great asset to
new managers and employees (kinda like a department chronicle).

Chuck Piotrowski
CVPS
www.cvps.com
This computer runs on Cow Power!