Sender:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 13:50:27 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
> I thing y'all may be violently agreeing here (in Larry's comment to Carl's
> (aka Carl Weise, CRM) post on the referenced link).

No, I'm relatively sure that Carl Weise (irrespective of designation) and I
aren't in agreement... and I think Carl agrees that we aren't, because he
had to approve my comment before it was posted. =)

Carl makes the point in the first two sentences that "good and successful
> information governance continues throughout the lifetime of an ERM program
> or initiative.  It starts when the initiative begins." Certainly that's
> what
> I taught when I was teaching the ERM Certificate courses last year.

Well maybe to folks getting a certificate this is true, but information
governance (as I pointed out in my response) DOESN'T START when an ERM
initiative begins... the need for it starts when an organization generates
or receives information in support of it's business objectives.  there is a
clear need for it long before an ERM is put in place. Unless the business is
installing the ERM prior to putting up it's "open for business" sign,  it
should begin long before this point.

Carl additionally makes the point that just as the instruments provide
> governance to the information, so too the instruments must themselves be
> governed (e.g. declaring the RRS as a record, etc.).

Wikipedia (one of Jesse's favorite sources!) defines governance as :

*Governance* (in business) is the action of developing and managing
consistent, cohesive policies, processes and decision rights for a given
area of responsibility. For example, managing at a corporate level: privacy,
internal investment, the use of data.

This clearly makes the point that "instruments" aren't necessary to govern
anything.. policies and practices are. There's no question that once an
organization begins consideration of, or deployment of, an ERM the need for
governance will continue... but it isn't the kickoff point, which was the
gist of my comment.

Carl ends with this statement: "Good Information Governance should continue
> throughout the lifetime of an ERM initiative, and hence create a sound
> foundation for an organization's compliance with legislative and
> regulatory
> requirements, and delivery of the envisaged productivity benefits."
>
> Don't see how to argue with that.

 I don't argue with the concluding statement.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA