Sender:
From:
Patti Kraatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 12:24:17 -0400
"what are others doing..."
Our RRS is revised yearly and is presented as an amendment to an original
by-law. It's passed by two senior management committees, Regional Council
and an external auditor before becoming "law". It is always a new document
in our EDMS never a version. Old by-laws are archived. The amount of
research involved precludes more frequent amendments although I would
always be flexible should there be legal or other risk concern.

IMHO (I've only been in this field a few yrs) I think there is a risk in
overwriting. Although only the current RRS applies what if you or staff
needed to prove past practices in a legal or FOI case? Maybe I'm misreading
and the paper is preserved but the e-doc is overwritten but that doesn't
change my mind. In the RIM teaching I've seen we're to treat paper and
electronic documents exactly the same. As well, more and more FOI requests
are coming in asking for electronic versions. Of course that opens another
can - 'can you prove integrity of the system'.

Patti Kraatz
Coordinator, Information Mgmt & Archives
Regional Municipality of Waterloo
2nd Floor, 150 Frederick St.
Ph: 519-575-4725    Fax: 519-575-4481

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail correspondence (including any
attachments) may contain information which is confidential and/or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law, and is intended only for the use of
the designated recipient(s) listed above. Any unauthorized use or
disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
or have otherwise received this message by mistake, please notify the
sender by replying via e-mail, and destroy all copies of this original
correspondence (including any attachments). Thank you for your cooperation.