Sender:
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 13:01:30 -0600
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Sharon,

BA in Political Science here (Metropolitan State College of Denver, 2001).

To be a bit cynical, the completion of a degree indicates a certain
perseverance with the silly things most students have to do to complete the
thing, many of which have zero relevance to the degree in question. For
example, at MCSD there is a multicultural requirement which is nonwaivable.
This is not unusual for many institutions; however, one of the courses one
could take to complete that requirement was a music theory class. Another
one was a class that automatically awarded an "A" to any student who took it
during his/her final semester in recognition of the value it provided to
most degree programs.

Another requirement was the successful completion of Political Science 101;
while that may make sense to many of you, at the time I completed that
course I had already finished more than 40 credit hours of upper-division
work, including 18 hours of honors classes, 9 hours of "senior
thesis/capstone" classes, and 15 hours of 300- and 400-level political
science coursework. But it sure was valuable at that stage learning about
the three branches of government and checks and balances. :)

I suspect you'll get lots of different responses depending on whether the
responder has a degree or not, what kind, what level, etc. But what I got
out of my degree was the ability to sign up for masters programs, which
carry different silly requirements in their own right. I don't believe my
degree has provided anything to any of my employers, including my present
one, and I think I'd be as successful without as with.

Wish I could be more help,

Jesse Wilkins