Sender:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:47:35 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 6/26/07, Basore, Rhonda K. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Is there any language or rules that states for disaster protection of
> records, the records should not be stored within so many miles of an
> organizations offices.

No rules, unless you're a Federal Agency, or a Contractor doing work to
one... and then it comes from 36CFR, Part 1200-1250

It's more a case of an application of "best practices" or "sound business
practices", and it has to be based on whee you're physically located.  With
you being in Berkeley, the comments I made in this post about Vital Records
may be of interest to you:

http://snipr.com/1nm41

Some of the primary concerns for agencies charged with the responsibility of
managing public records are above and beyond what private businesses are
faced with, simply because the nature of what is contained in many of the
official records managed by cities and counties.  You have business
licenses, birth and death records, police reports, deeds and other property
documents, and many other classes of records that are critical to the
citizens of your community following an emergency or other catastrophic
incident.

Larry

----
Larry Medina