Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2007 07:33:33 +0800
From:
"Dr.Xiaomi An" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Link, Gary M.,ÄúºÃ£¡
  See attachment for a paper which may relevant.Following are some materials which are relevant to appraisal and retention of architectural records.

An, Xiaomi "Appraisal of Architectural Archives in China: A Critique", Records Management Bulletin, ISSN: 0258-4500,October2002, Issue110:25-30, The paper was based on my presentation at The Appraisal of Architectural Archives Workshop held by ICA/AR on September 21, 2000, Seville, Spain during the 14th International Congress on Archives, see http://www.caldeson.com/RIMOS/xanaaac.html

Bradsher, James Gregory. 1988." Managing Cartographic and Architectural Archives" Managing Archives and Archival Institutions. London: Mansell Publishing Limited: 92-103

ICA/AR. 2000. A Guide to the Archival Care of Architectural Records: 19th -20th Centuries. Paris: ICA

Lathrop. Alank. 1996.b. " Appraisal of Architectural Records in Practice: The Northwest Architectural Archives". American Archivist. 59 (2): 222-227

Lowell, Waverly. 2000c. " Appraising Issues in North America". ICA/SAR Workshop. Seville. September 21: 6pp

Mattix, Carla. 2000. " Legal Issues for Architectural Records.Architectural Records Conference Report. May 3 through 5. Philadelphia, PA

Nelb, Tawny Ryan. 1996. Architectural Records Appraisal: Discussion of Problems and Strategies for the Documenting Michigan Architecture Project". American Archivist .59 Spring: 228-239

PRO. 1998b. Records Management: Retention Scheduling for Building Records. Guidance for Records Managers and Estate Managers. London: Crown

Schrock, Nancy Carlson and Cooper, Mary Campbell.1992. Records in Architectural Offices: Suggestions for the Organisation, Storage, and Conservation of Architectural Office Records 3rd edition). Massachusetts: Mass CORPAR

The National Archives and Records Administration Office. 1989. National Archives and Records Administration Instructional Guide Series: Managing Cartographic and Architectural Records, Washington, D.C

Best wishes
Xiaomi An

======= 2007-07-06 16:02:00 ÄúÔÚÀ´ÐÅÖÐдµÀ£º=======

>Stephen,
>
>In a word: No. However, one reasource that will assist you in determining retention of your design & construction files is called the Statute of Repose. It's like a statute of limitations. Generally, it states that anyone who designs, constructs, or observes the construction (professionally, that is) of a building can be sued for defects in that building during a certain period of time. Every state has it's own statute of repose. Here in PA, it is twelve years after the building is completed. Like statutes of limitations, statutes of repose are not records retention requirements, however they are essential pieces of info you need to have in hand when determining retention periods for your project files.
>
>Good Luck,
>Gary
>
>Gary Link, CRM
>Corporate Records Manager