Sender:
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:09:46 +0000
From:
Maureen cusack <[log in to unmask]>
CG

I think the category on your list <employment information> is overly broad
and I think it is important to separate out salary information from this
category because salary information of Canadian government employees is very
much public information. So really your organization should not be
encrypting basic straight-up salary data at all. Including money paid to
government agency "consultants".  Many government agencies use this category
of "consultant" to try to get around FOI laws. The Ontario Information &
Privacy Commisioner has ruled against those employing this tactic.

I think it's important to make it clear to your employees that this salary
information is public information because many IT and C-level manager types
think they have the right to keep this information from the Canadian public,
despite any FOI requests, when in fact it is illegal to keep this
information from the public. Salary information for Canadian government
employees is so public, in fact, that Ontario provincial civil servants who
earn more than $100K/year have their name, title, organizaton and salary
posted on the Ministry of Finance website. Salaries of civil servants who
earn less than $100K/year are no less public information, however, just
because they are not posted on the Ministry's website every year.

Maureen Cusack, M.I.St.

http://www.maureencusack.net