Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:01:20 -0400
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
RAIN 070804
Records and Archives In the News is a compilation of news stories
related to records and archives management.

Rethink the storage infrastructure
Computerworld - Framingham,MA,USA
August 02, 2007 (CIO) -- When Marty Garrison became chief technology
officer of ChoicePoint Inc. three years ago, the storage situation was
essy. ...
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&
articleId=9028746>

Phone call logs to be stored for a year
ZDNet UK - UK
The Data Retention Regulations, which transpose most of the EU Data
Retention Directive into UK law, were approved by the House of Lords on
Tuesday and ...
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39288316,00.htm>

Archive Not Ready for Digital Age
Washington Post - United States
The ITS files comprise the most complete record on Nazi victims. Its
estimated 50 million pages of concentration camp papers, death lists,
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/03/AR200708
0300876.html>

City clerk ready to turn the page
Daily News Tribune - Waltham,MA,USA
As he sorted through files, Malone pulled out old voting records and
rule
books and paired them up with City Hall documents from the past few
years....
<http://www.dailynewstribune.com/homepage/x2011227212>

Staff unearth surprising pieces while packing Saanich's history
Saanich News - BC, Canada
"We haven't known fully what we had, so we are finding treasures as we
go," said archivist Caroline Duncan, referring to a delicate dress that
was recently ...
<http://www.saanichnews.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=28&cat=23&id=1038
351&more=0>

Bauman collection arrives at Stonehill
Easton Journal - Milford,MA,USA
Archivist Nicole B. Tourangeau '95 said the collection will remain
closed for up to 24 months while the staff processes it according to
archival standards ...
<http://www.townonline.com/easton/homepage/x986383805>

YPHISE ranked IBM Filenet P8 highest among competitors
Categorynet.com (Communiqués de presse) - Paris,France
They allow proper document retention and easy retrieval according to
legal needs. The detailed assessment of the products shortlisted by
YPHISE states that ...
<http://www.categorynet.com/v2/content/view/48921/376/>

What Protection Does Rule 37(F) Provide?
Law.com (subscription) - San Francisco,CA,USA
It's, of course, not wrongful for a manager to instruct his employees
to comply with a valid document retention policy under ordinary
circumstances....
<http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1186089401546

Bryce Jacobson: Keep public records public
Craig Daily Press - Craig,CO,USA
The bill caps how much record keepers, such as municipalities and
counties, can charge for copies of records at 25 cents per page.
...<http://www.craigdailypress.com/news/2007/aug/03/bryce_jacobson_keep_p
ublic_records_public/>

Detailed plans submitted for £6.3m records office
Cumberland News - Carlisle,Cumbria,UK
Old and new: There are plans to extend and transform and extend Lady
Gillford House, far left, into the new county archive. Left, how the
site
will look if ...
<http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=527839>

City E-Mails to Be Purged After 6 Months
Washington Post - United States
Experts on record-keeping said that a key concern when adopting
policies is
how to determine which e-mails qualify as public documents. ...
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/02/AR200708
0202454.html>

Hundreds of Documents Found in Garbage with Personal Info-Part 2
KSL-TV - Salt Lake City,UT,USA
He says, "It says the destruction of records shall be, not may, but
shall be by shredding, erasing or otherwise modifying the personal
information to make ...
<http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1577147>
<http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1570169>

Man finds discarded medical records
Daily Herald - Provo,UT,USA
News media are reporting that personal documents ended up in the wrong
hands in Utah County and no one knows how it happened. Yesterday KSL
reported that a ... <http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/231586/4/>

Wilson artifacts find a new home
Staunton News Leader - Staunton,VA,USA
By Mindi Westhoff/staff When Eric Vettel and the staff of Woodrow Wilson
Presidential Library and Museum looked outside on July 20, they rubbed
their eyes ...
<http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070803/NEWS01/708
030320/1002>

Apollo archive casts new light
Arizona State University - Tempe,USA
Maura White is an image archivist at NASA Johnson; she heads the Apollo
scanning project on the Johnson side. Preparing each roll of film to be
scanned, ...
<http://asunews.asu.edu/node/730>

Unmanaged instant messaging creates headaches for companies ...
SC Magazine US - USA
The changes to the FRCP are intended to ensure that electronic records,
which are becoming increasingly important as business records,
agreements and ...
<http://scmagazine.com/us/news/article/675212/unmanaged-instant-messaging
-creates-headaches-companies-attempting-comply-new-federal-rules-civil-pr
ocedure>

Building A City Through Photographs
Evening Bulletin - Philadelphia,PA,USA
The photos chosen for the exhibit are a tiny representation of the
estimated 2 million photographs on file with the Philadelphia City
Archives. ...
<http://thebulletin.us/site/news.cfm?newsid=18660210&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dep
t_id=576361&rfi=6>

Library acquires major bluestocking archive
University of Manchester - Manchester,Lancashire,UK
This nationally important archive offers wonderful insights into royal,
aristocratic and literary circles during the reign of George III. ...
<http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/news/display/?id=121183>

Bergman archive in jeopardy
Variety - USA
By GUNNAR REHLIN Lack of coin has put the future of the Ingmar Bergman
archive in jeopardy, just a few days after the multi-hyphenate's death.
... <http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117969685?categoryId=13&cs=1>

Bush Aide Addresses Missing RNC E-Mails
Washington Post - United States
"I was receiving a lot of e-mail on my official account. And I
requested [a BlackBerry] at that moment, and I was told that it wasn't
the custom to give ...
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/02/AR200708
0201384.html?hpid=topnews>

New E-Discovery Survey Reveals Many Firms' IT and Legal ...
Market Wire (press release) - USA
According to Michael Osterman, president of Osterman Research, "The
recent
amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FRCP) have required
companies ...
<http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=757687>

Absolute archiving compliance 'impossible'
ITWeb - Rivonia,Gauteng,South Africa
Michalson adds this problem is compounded by the very ECT legislation
that
allows for electronic data storage, as it does not provide any
procedural
or ...
<http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/business/2007/0708031038.asp?O=FPTOP>

Building the city
Philadelphia Inquirer - Philadelphia,PA,USA
For decades, the photographs - prints, negatives and even some
19th-century
glass plates - lay undisturbed in city archives. Then, Decker said,
about a
year ...
<http://www.philly.com/inquirer/weekend/20070803_Building_the_city.html>

The Benfits of Bottomless Email Storage
CTR - Los Angeles,CA,USA
Employees do not have time to manage their email and do not want to
delete
messages and attachments that are their primary record of business
activity. ...
<http://www.wwpi.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2418&Itemi
d=44>

The Right Way to Throw It Away
Dark Reading - New York,NY,USA
In my last column I discussed how the Texas Attorney General is
enforcing state laws requiring the destruction of consumer records
against five companies ...
<http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=130836&WT.svl=column1_1>

115 Years of Black History Goes Digital
New California Media - San Francisco,CA,USA
The purpose of the grant is to develop a new archival training
practicum and internship program at Johns Hopkins that will survey the
AFRO's archives of ...
<http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=d86eae254d8e
1409e6abae4d4136b7aa>

So Long to the Analog Era; Home Movies Reborn on DVD
New York Times - United States
The Photo Archival Company in Georgia, of which Charles V. Laughlin is
an owner, transfers slides, photographs and videotapes to DVDs. ...
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/04/business/04shortcuts.html?em&ex=118637
2800&en=51db8b3b42181b20&ei=5087%0A>

Bush papers to be stored near Dallas
Dallas Morning News (subscription) - TX,USA
In a solicitation letter to developers, the National Archives and
Records Administration said it needs to rent a secure 60000-square-foot
space from Oct. 1, ...
<http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-bu
shdocs_04met.ART.North.Edition1.41f86e0.html>

Archive to Expand Access to Files on the Holocaust
New York Times - United States
The files cover 51 concentration camps and prisons, and include
transportation lists, medical reports, entry documents -- like the one
signed by Mrs. Ban ...
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/05/world/europe/05archive.html?ref=world>

Records play important role in decision-making process
Fiji Times - Suva,Fiji
Efficient and effective record keeping practices play an important role
in
the government decision making process, says Government Archivist
Setareki
Tale. ...
<http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=67838>

Time to make a little more room for compliance
ITBusiness.ca - Canada
Goodall foresees a move towards "larger and faster" storage and improved
information life cycle management tools. Vendors will continue to
explore
different ...
<http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=44566&cid=8>

Is Time Ripe For Electronic Content Management?
InformationWeek - Manhasset,NY,USA
... the reduction of information and content in various formats that are
moved into digital storage" shows what ECM can offer green initiatives,
he
says. ...
<http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=20120300
1>