Sender:
From:
"Tyler, Judy K Ms CRDAMC-Ft Hood" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 08:15:37 -0500
Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Reference the article published in the Washington Post on 3 August,
titled:  City E-Mails to Be Purged After 6 Months.  I don't know how
many read this article, but I noticed the writer referred to "experts on
Record-keeping", I'd like to know who those experts are.  I guess I'm
too old school.  I realize that e-mail is a huge problem, we're facing
that here, but to say delete after six months really bothers me.  When
I'm asked by the staff here about how long they should retain their
e-mail, and what I try to teach our staff is to look at the content of
the e-mail.  The majority of "official business" e-mails, I tell them to
keep for two years.  That's our retention policy for routine
correspondence.  I tell them to pretend that they put a piece of paper
in the old fashioned typewriter or have their secretary type the
information and whatever file category would apply to the product from
the typewriter would be that same that applied to the e-mail.  Maybe I'm
just getting old, and I guess the old saying is true that it's hard to
teach old dogs new tricks, but I keep trying to learn. :)

JUDY K. TYLER, CRM
Records Management Officer
Information Management Division
Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center