Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:42:49 -0700
From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
A testimonial about the USA national do not call registry.  I registered my home phone on this registry several years ago and a month later was amazed by the reduction in solicitation calls.  I receive darn very few solicitation calls since registering; perhaps one per month.  I encourage all USA folks on this listserv to register if they receive lots of solicitation calls; it works.

Of the very few that I do receive, most are from the NV highway patrol, who got my name and number somewhere; perhaps from vehicle registration.  The others are from a national partisan political party to which I do not belong, and to which my political beliefs are completely opposite on most issues.  I wonder if a friend provided my name and phone number to them as a prank.    If I am in a good mood, sometimes I mess with them a little bit.  When I received a solicitation call a couple of weeks ago; it sounded like a very young lady on the other end; perhaps a college student.  I was curious if she was a party volunteer, or a paid telephone solicitor.  I asked her if she was aware that one of her party's announced candidates for Prez was a muslim, and was suspected of aiding Al Quaida.  She got real quiet and a second later replied "that is a rumor started by the military."  I asked her which branch of the military and she replied "all of them."  I told her that the Merchant Marine was suspected of having ties to the middle east and she replied "the Marines are all fascists."

I am not making a political statement here; just relaying something humorous about which I still chuckle

Best regards, Steve

<snip>
Interesting indeed.

It's sort of like the issue surrounding the National DO NOT CALL List.
http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall

<snip>