Sender:
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:58:11 -0400
From:
"McCaffrey, Sean" <[log in to unmask]>
<As mentioned above, with a 180 day window, if it is determined the item has
additional value, it should be declared a record and assigned to a series .
If one doesn't exist, maybe one needs to be created for "reference material"
and assigned a 1 year (or whatever) retention.>

A couple of thoughts on this:

I am leery of including this type of material with other official business records because the distinction is already difficult for people to make. This is a quality vs quantity issue.

Without getting into the gory details, we do have a place in the corporate records classification scheme that can accommodate this type of material (duplicates reference copies etc., however, this brings me to an important point: the records classification scheme is designed to mitigate risk for the corporation, it does not necessarily facilitate the daily work of the employee. For example, I may be working on a project that has records related to HR, Finance etc. that are classified differently and have greatly different retentions. If I want to get a clear picture of my project using only the corporate classification scheme, I am forced to go here and there to get all the relevant information. Of course, my division has staff that seek to help employees bridge this gap with different techniques but it remains challenging. For this reason, I am reluctant to address "working" material (again that does not fit the criteria of an official business record" with the corporate classification scheme.

Does this make sense?

This e-mail originates from the City of Ottawa e-mail
system. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or
the information it contains by other than the intended
recipient(s) is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify me at the telephone number shown
above or by return e-mail and delete this communication and
any copy immediately. Thank you.

Le présent courriel a été expédié par le système de
courriels de la Ville d'Ottawa. Toute distribution,
utilisation ou reproduction du courriel ou des
renseignements qui s'y trouvent par une personne autre que
son destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous avez reçu le
message par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser par téléphone (au
numéro précité) ou par courriel, puis supprimer sans délai
la version originale de la communication ainsi que toutes
ses copies. Je vous remercie de votre collaboration.