Sender:
From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:46:37 -0700
When our company retention schedule was developed, the attorneys who
worked on it didn't think to annotate the records series with any legal
citations or operational requirements used to determine the retention
periods, so, I'm researching this now. One of our attorneys gave me a
copy of Guide to Records Retention (Business Laws Inc). This publication
was favorably reviewed some time ago on his listserv. It appears,
however, that my copy hasn't been updated since May 2003. I cannot find
a website for Business Laws, Inc ... it appears to have been bought out
by Thomson*West? Their website only seems to have the newsletter, not
the loose-leaf book. Is this publication still in print?

I'm looking through this one and Skupsky's "Recordkeeping Requirements"
(c. 1994) to locate likely codes and regs, then going to the current
citations online to see if they are still valid. I hate to reinvent the
wheel trying to find standard business, tax and public reporting
requirements. Skupsy's Retention Manager seems to be overkill since the
schedule is already developed, but his Legal Requirements for Business
Records might be useful (although quite expensive).

Any suggestions for other more current resources that can point me to
the proper acts/codes/regs that I need to look at?

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes