Sender:
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:46:54 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
> And to follow up on my own post... I looked at the T&C for AT&T / Yahoo
> and Gmail and neither promises any acceptance of liability if your
> email gets deleted or corrupted. So I expect that is the case with
> Charter as well. And since they have no risk (beyond bad publicity),
> they have no obligation to protect the information. Keep that in mind
> when you tell me that you keep all your email online because then you
> don't have to worry about getting access to a personal email....

Personal, SCHMERSONAL!

There are numerous non-profits and not-for-profits that use web based e-mail
as their only sources of communication for a number of reasons.  Some of
these organizations are incorporated, which means  if they make any
financial decisions by using these forms of communication, they may be
required to provide copies of them in response to IRS audits for UP TO 25
YEARS.

I know of a few school booster organizations in this boat, and part of the
advice given to them post incorporation was to either place in their by-laws
a policy AGAINST communication and/or conducting this type of business
through web-based mail or to ensure they had requirements for the Treasurer
to print and retain copies of all exchanges on these discussions and/or
decisions.

I think there may be others involved in these type of organizations here,
and you may want to make your fellow Board members aware of this incident!!

Larry
--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA