Sender:
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:05:13 -0800
From:
"Peachey, Brian" <[log in to unmask]>
This inquiry is primarily for those in the legal field but, I'm
interested in any useful insight.

Requisite introduction:  I'm a recently joined lurker and appreciate the
wealth of knowledge shared on the list.  I've been in records management
for 18 years and the Records Manager at Stoel Rives LLP in Portland, OR
for the past 11. (http://www.stoel.com)  Prior to that I was an account
manager for 2 yrs at an offsite storage vendor swallowed up by Iron Mtn.
and at another local law firm for 5 yrs before that.

A couple of years ago, with the goal of eliminating email folder size
restrictions on our attorneys, we implemented an email vaulting system.
At that time, we had not yet begun importing emails into our document
management system where we could apply our retention policies.
Importing emails into the DMS is now under way in a going forward basis
however, we have several million archived emails not in the DMS.
Getting our attorneys to take the excessive amount of time necessary to
the DMS is a pipedream.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone dealing with this problem.  Have
any of you employed staff to organize these old emails?  Do you have
policies in place to delete emails from your vault after a defined time
period.  Have you taken any of the ancient emails completely off line
for storage?  If off line, have you defined a retention period for
those?

Any commentary or information you have would be greatly appreciated and
I'd be happy to share with you anything I learn from this inquiry.

You can reach me off list at [log in to unmask]

Thanks,

Brian Peachey
Records Manager
Stoel Rives LLP