Sender:
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:52:13 -0500
From:
Gerry McFatridge <[log in to unmask]>
Gary Link asks:
      Any guesses as to the size/type of file created?

I was curious about that also.

Using the SWAG method I come up with scanning a 3" wide document at a
2bit-100dpi resolution at say 5Kb/ft * 3875ft = 23,250Kb = 23Mb +/- TIFF
file. Maybe??

If they used a higher bit depth and/or resolution then of course the
file size could easily be MUCH larger (duh!). I really have no idea what
the norm is in that type of scan - do they scan those things (fetal
monitor strips) in 2 bit , 8 bit or full color??? My guess is for the
purposes of this exercise they probably went as low res as they could
but that assumption could be totally wrong also.

I was also curious to know if the output file was truly created as a
single thing or if it was actually a post-processing concatenation of a
number of intermediate output files resulting in a single file.

If you hear back from the author let us know.

Gerry