Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:50:09 +0800
From:
John James O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I use the example of email.  Everybody gets the "to" and "from"
fields in emails, metadata that is readily available for use in
managing the records--bringing benefits without causing users extra
work.

People generally seem to value knowing that we are looking out for
their daily (workload) intersts by identifying metadata that already
exists...then they are less burdened (if not exactly happy) when they
realize that for real value, they may need to add some more user
defined metadata.

Like Peter, I also reference tagging, with attention to generational
differences.  Tagging also can imply that there is no need for a
taxonomy.  You cannot manage records without context. You cannot
establish context without a taxonomy (ok, ontology) or map of some
form.  that's what enables systematic management of records relative
to value.   And most importantly, there is no such thing as "the
user".  There are many, many users for whom a taxonomy can identify
different needs and tolerances so that you don't scare them off by
overwhelming them with detail they do not need to know.  Many users
need never know that the metadata is what makes it all work behind
the scenes.  Some need to know how they can improve their experience
through well crafted metadata, and how common language leverages
collective intelligence where silos work against that.  Others (like
the RMgr) need a deep grasp of how it all comes together.

One guy's thoughts on a day that begs for leaving the computer and
going hiking in the 60% green that is Hong Kong ;-)  Might just do that!

John

John James O'Brien, BA, CRM, MALT

Partner & Managing Director
IRM Strategies
Hong Kong: +852 3101 7359
Bangkok: +66 2 207 2530
www.irmstrategies.com

Associate Partner, S4K Research
Stockholm www.s4k.com

Note: This email (including all attachments and content conveyed
hereby) is intended for the addressee, in person or position, only.
Unauthorized use, distribution or action based on this email is
prohibited. No rights of ownership are waived or lost through
misdirection or interception. If you are not the intended addressee,
kindly notify the sender immediately and delete/expunge all record of
this email from all relevant systems.