Sender:
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:25:28 -0400
From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Deborah--

When I worked for an architectural firm where I developed the beginnings
of a records management program, drawings received from the client and or
governmental agencies were always treated as reference copies. As far as I
could tell, we only received copies, never originals. These drawings are
retained for as long as they are useful to my old firm's involvement with
the project, Any drawings that your firm receives via subcontracting, the
shop drawings, are essentially a "work for hire" and should be treated
like your own firm's original drawings. While it's not always easy, I've
found that it is good practice to speak with the executive architect or a
project executive to be sure they are cognizant of who is responsible for
which sets of drawings and records.

From my experiences with architecture-construction industry, I've found
that's it more often the case that the owner, architect, and contractor
entities each retain almost the exact same set of records. I've sometimes
thought it would be nice for us records managers if the contracts among
the 3 major entities, defined who would be responsible for which records,
or to encourage active relationships among the records managers / document
control managers for the 3 entities to reduce duplication and to know who
owns record copy. Since I was not in this industry for a long time, maybe
my interactions are in the minority and don't describe how most other
firms operate. I certainly hope the latter is true.

--Stephen

Stephen Cohen
Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
27-01 Queens Plaza North
Long Island City NY 11101
212-578-2373

We have been saving the client provided drawings for the same retention
period as the entire project. I'm beginning to think that we may not
have to. It would make sense to me that we retain OUR drawings (which we
use to build the model), but that the client is responsible for
retaining their drawings, provided that the drawings they send us are
copies and they have the originals. Any advice would be greatly
appreciated!"

At the architectural/engineering firm where I work we follow these
guidelines:  In the case of an architectural print which is historical
(indicating how the building was constructed before we became involved),
we would save it as a reference, but not as part of the project.  The
exception to this rule would be if a subcontractor has submitted what we
call "shop drawings".  An example of that would be if the mechanical
contractor submitted his prints indicated how he will carry out in
detail, his responsibilities, and those prints were "accepted" by us.
In that case, a retention period reflecting the statute of repose or
statute of limitations is applied.

Just a perspective from the other side of the coin.

Deborah K. Wolf
Records Manager

S W B R    A R C H I T E C T S

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.