Sender:
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:05:27 -0700
From:
Charmaine Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Laurie,

  I read your article with great interest. You made a number of valid points. When I work with clients, speak, or teach classes about ERM I emphasize that it is not just about the technology, but about the process.

  Of all my clients that are implementing or using Microsoft Sharepoint, none of them are planning to use the "Record Center" to manage their records with the current configuration. So if Microsoft states that they have done all they can with RIM in their product they are truly selling their customers short.

  The comments that you made about vendors are correct, if a bit blunt. I can understand why the IMJ would ask you to tone it down, but I feel your frustration.

  Having worked as a corporate records manager, for a RIM software vendor, and now as a consultant I am familiar with all three aspects of the issue. The concept of managing an organizations informational assets is overwhelming and few understand where to even begin.

I would not count on the software vendors to help - they sell technology. Some are offering consulting services to assist their clients, but RIM must become systemic in organizations. When I worked for the RM software vendor we usually chose to no bid companies that did not have a RM program. Without the policies, procedures, and processes in place it would be nearly impossible for the implementation to succeed.

  Hence your comments about change management. You are right on there. In order to manage information (documents/records, etc) organizations have to begin changing the way employees work and provide the tools to do so.

  Charmaine Brooks, CRM ERMm
  IMERGE Consulting
  (208) 343-1904 Office
  www.imergeconsult.com