Sender:
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 17:50:58 +0800
From:
Daniel Varendorff <[log in to unmask]>
 To Jessie, Joan & others plus all of my colleagues on the List:

What an excellent question posed by Jessie & what a PERFECT response from
Joan & many others.

I am making a  copy Joan's analogy, printing it in bold type, then framing
it and hanging it on my office wall.

I will quote it to the point of ad nauseam as it is the PERFECT statement.

Thank you Joan as this term has always been an itch that needed scratching
and at last - at least for me - the satisfactory handling of the incorrect
terminology of Recordkeeping to address Records Management has been provided
by Joan.
**
The term* Recordkeeping* as defined in the Australian Standard AS 4390-1996
Records Management & later in AS ISO 15489 Records Management (2002) in my
humble assessment was never a Records Management term but an Archive term.
As the Australian Standard AS 4390-1996 Records Management was a creation of
input from both the Archivist & Records Management fraternity it has always
been my personal view that *Recordkeeping* was an inappropriate term as has
been suitably discussed in this list thread.

In an article entitled - What is Records Management?- July 2003 available
online @
http://www.microfilm.net.au/articles.shtml?what_is_records_management
I made the following comments in respect to what Records Management was, or
was not:

Questions:

 Is it Record Keeping "RK"? Yes, again! At the recent RMAA Convention in
Sydney (3-6 December, 2000), "Bridging the Gap", David Roberts, the director
of State Records, New South Wales "N.S.W.", indicated that all of us as
individuals, employees of Organizations, workgroups within Organizations and
Organizations themselves be they Private, Commercial, Government or
Educational are record keepers. I believe he is correct.
*But is RK the end thing?* We may all keep records but do we manage them?
Why do we keep records? So that we may find them in the future, whether that
future point is in a millennium or a nanosecond away!
So, if we keep them but we don't manage them effectively, and can't find
them when we need them, why keep them? RM is greater than RK but RK is a
part of RM and also of Archive Management "AM".

My congratulations to Joan plus this is my 2 cents worth on the subject
matter.

Regards, Daniel Lawarance Varendorff

Mr. Daniel Lawrance [Laurie] Varendorff, ARMA

www.microfilm.net.au

Digital Microfilm Equipment - DME

www.records-management.com.au

The Varendorff Consultancy

ABN: 77 836 801 165

P. O. Box 483 Claremont, Western Australia 6910 - AUSTRALIA

PHONE: +618 9286 37055 - MOBILE: +61 417 094 147

EMAIL: [log in to unmask]