Sender:
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:05:16 -0400
From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Nolene, several comments:

In addition to the Australian Standard cited by Peter Kurilecz (see
below), there's an American source for legal requirements: ANSI/AIIM
TR31-2004 "Legal Acceptance of Records Produced by Information
Technology Systems".

Laurie Varendorff's citation of ANSI/AIIM MS44 is excellent, but should
also include ANSI/AIIM TR34-1996 "Sampling Procedures for Inspection by
Attributes of Images in Electronic Image Management (EIM) &
Micrographics Systems". This Technical Report provides several
statistical sampling rates for QC (you have to choose one).

I would add that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should the ANSI/AIIM MS44
technique of "match proof print" be left out of the QC process, as,
IMHO, the display of images on a screen does not constitute adequate QC
(for example, it usually does not show incorrectly-cropped edges,
unintended color drop-outs, excessive de-speckling, etc.).

Also, I have found it worthwhile to incorporate the QC logs into the
image database, which ties the QC operation a little more closely to the
content, offers a snapshot of the QC methodology for both legal and
operational reasons, and, hopefully, provides a backup in case someone
decides the QC logs present no value and can be discarded before the
document images themselves are discarded (following, of course, a
rigorous disposition process). Here, I'm assuming the QC logs are
handwritten onto paper, but there's no reason they cannot be built into
the EDMS.

Good luck, and best regards.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Deputy Commissioner and Chief Information Officer
The City of New York,
Department of Records
Email: [log in to unmask]
Land phone: 212.788.8615