Sender:
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:45:19 -0700
From:
Andy von Busse <[log in to unmask]>
Let me answer this from the point of view of a storage vendor.

We get all sorts of boxes, some as good as the ones we sell, but a whole ton of cheap Staples kind, the ones that fall apart at the slightest amount of handling.

If you are concerned that your vendor is "going to take advantage of you", have them designate the good boxes from the bad. I have no problem doing so for my clients when this discussion comes up. If their box then breaks, and it is one of the cheap ones, I repackage, and charge. If a good box breaks, it will depend on how many times it was handled (yes, we keep track of that). If more than 5 times, it gets charged, less it does not. Don’t forget, that 5 times applies only if the box was called for to be handled by the client, not if it was handled incidently by us when another client may be involved, such as if the box is above the other clients. What that means, a box could be handled many times, and there are times we replace and don't charge.

If you are worried about the confidentiality, why are you even considering off-site? We consistenly go into client boxes to pull files for delivery. Why would you be worried in one case, but not the other?

You need to decide how you deal with your vendor. They are not there to "snoop" in your files, they are there to provide a service. You are probably only one of many, and probably one of their smaller clients, so why would they even think of jeopardising their reputation?

Andy von Busse

 Please consider the environment before printing this email.
 Before printing this e-mail, think if it is necessary