Sender:
From:
debbie ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:21:43 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]: Re: Offsite storage box barcodesDate: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:19:45 +0000

Joe -  It would depend on how you manage your files.  Re-using the bar-code may mean significant potential head-aches in the future, unless you have a good method of ensuring that ALL files previously in that box are accounted for and correctly re-designated in your records system (i.e. - Destroyed, Re-actived, Checked out to a requestor, etc.), before re-using that box. It also depends on how you utilize your off-site vendor. If your vendor accesses the boxes and pulls specific items from it, you will have to have them re-index the box when it goes back to storage with the new contents & that will not save you any costs. However, if you retrieve only full boxes from them, and handle the contents internally, then it makes sense to re-use boxes. At our firm we do not have our vendor index contents.  We retrieve full boxes, pull material needed, then either immediately re-fill the space with other files & return to the vendor; or hold the box for a short period of time in case the files return, in which case we drop the files back in their original box. We leave it up to the Records Coordinators in each office to determine the appropriate work flow for their office. We are able to do re-designate a Folder to a new box because we utilize an ERM system that allows a hassle-free process for moving Folders from one box to another. The ERM system also tracks a history of all actions taken on every Folder so we can see the trail of previous boxes a Folder resided in if we should ever need that information.   - Debra FergusonDuane Morris LLPPhiladelphia, PA    > Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:15:58 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Offsite storage box barcodes> To: [log in to unmask]> > Hello… does anyone have an opinion on reusing offsite storage box barcodes? I’m trying to find out if it makes sense to keep the box barcodes so as not to have the expense of permanent removal charges incurred. > > Regards,> > Joe