Sender:
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:04:46 -0500
From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>

I tend to agree, however, 15 years ago would you have said, "I don't see
CDs
as a long-term storage solution. Their primary purpose is for easy
storage/transfer of more information than can be stored on a reasonably
number of floppy disks"? Flash drives are every bit as useful for
long-term
storage of digital information as any other storage media available
today
for the reasons I already outlined: it ain't the storage media that's
the
problem, it's the software applications and file formats.
<<

I don't know whose side of this issue my story supports, but recently at
home we bought a new computer. Our old one was 10 years old and had
Windows 98. I thought I'd use a flash drive to transfer needed files
from the old machine to the new, but the flash drive would not read that
old of a version of windows. Oh, and the old machine also has a zip
drive -- new machine does not, nor a port that my zip drive bridge will
fit. ("Records Manager, heal thyself!")

Gary Link, CRM
Pittsburgh, PA
"All ethics so far evolved rest upon a single premise: that the
individual is a member of a community of interdependent parts." - Aldo
Leopold