Sender:
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:59:14 -0400
From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
I do think that one should be careful about negative public statements about
companies or individuals. Vendors cannot be blamed for a few bad apples. But
there are obviously some serious issues here regarding vendor support. And,
either the support contacts are getting the job done for you, or they are
not. And if they are not getting the job done, the "squeaky wheel gets the
oil."

I am currently assisting clients considering both of these software vendors.
Both vendors are excellent in their particular realms of functionality and
architecture. Costs can be high (listen carefully) depending on YOUR
specific licensing agreement. However, the last 20 years of software company
merger lessons are clear. Any buyer or user of software should be VERY
concerned when these buy-outs occur. You cannot initially be sure what the
end result will be.

Often, the buying vendor does value some of the functionality in the
software they are buying. SOME of it, but possibly not all. In addition,
there is always a big push the first year for "integration" to occur. Who do
you think will get to "integrate" with who? In fact, in some cases vendors
are simply trying to buy into market share (customer$), and not all of the
existing functionality will make into the new "integrated" environment. Will
your prized functionality get left out of the new "improved and integrated
version"?

Vendors may cancel their own internal software development activities and go
primarily with the functionality of the systems they bought
(Oracle/Stellent, IBM/FileNet). Or they may redevelop the functionality they
bought into their own architectures (years ago when OpenText bought
PSSoftware). There is nothing inherently wrong with them strategizing like
this.

However, the best bet for customers is to DEMAND detailed insight at least
every three months into the technology strategic planning of the vendor.
Otherwise, you have no idea what is going to happen regarding future
functionality and specific licensing costs. Buyer and User Beware.

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions
www.infotechdecisions.com