Sender:
From:
Kelly_Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:40:09 -0400
From Larry Medina's last posting:

>I can tell you that if I were to present these drafts to anyone in "top
>management" where I am now, they'd be more confused after looking at them
>than they were before. If I said "we need to comply with these" and they
>pointed to ISO 15489 as to how we should achieve this, I couldn't explain
>how that Standard in it current state adequately frames how RM needs to
>function.

I got through 2.3 in ISO 30300...it took 2 hours.  I found myself commenting
that the document was being written for the wrong audience!  For instance,
take a look at 2.3.2...it is about reliable, authentic and useable records.  It is
almost verbatim from ISO 15489 (I had a copy next to me when I was trying
to go through 30300...it helped a lot).  I think that senior management would
look to the records professionals for this sort of explanation.  I just don't think
they are going to take the time to really think about this.  I'm taking what I
know about writing for senior management (which is really from preparing for
CRM Part 6) is to keep it non-technical and brief.  This is anything but brief.

I also stared for a while at Figure 2 in 30300.  The horizontal arrow
between 'Management system for records' and 'Records management'...does
that imply they are the same thing?  Why separate it out like that?

I am also a bit SHOCKED (as Larry was in that last post) that no one
mentioned anything about these documents (30300 and 30301).  I want to
get through them before the public review period is up at the end of August.
Considering how much I go back to ISO 15489 sometimes in my thinking, and
I'd expect to do some of the same with this new series of standards, it is up
to records management practitioners to sound the alert if we think there is
one to be sounded.

I'd assume that ANSI personnel were involved in creating this...who are they?
I don't know that I've ever heard anyone identify themselves as being from
ANSI.

Kelly Hamilton, CRM
Records Analyst