Sender:
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 22:29:24 -0400
From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
I agree that once a technology is being used enough to actually create
something that might be records, it's use should be addressed in policies
and procedures. However, it is not until it is experimented with a bit that
we even know if the technology is of any real value. So it seems a bit
unrealistic for us to expect IT to worry about these issues until they begin
to create actual records issues. We as Records and Information managers
cannot really allow/disallow new technology procurement. Being a gatekeeper
for technology procurement, use, and adoption is truly a daunting task.

Think back to the early 80s/90's and our use of PCs, pagers, and cell
phones. Mostly, they were a convenience with little real volume of
communications or records being generated initially. (Remember asking a
coworker - "Do you think we should create an extra copy of that on another
floppy disk?") A department tells purchasing to order something because it
might be useful - maybe only occasionally or for very limited tasks. It is
not until it proves its utility that the technology is widely adopted, so
telling IT a policy revision is needed very early in the technology adoption
cycle would be greeted with a few laughs.

It is for this reason, that Records Managers are having to address issues
cross-organizationally by primarily creating guidance and occasionally
monitoring (often by sampling) compliance. The idea is to not chase the new
technologies but place the RESPONSIBILITY for information management on the
users/creators. The RMs serve in an advisory role. Guidance can be general
enough to say that "if you are managing information that needs preservation
and/or retention it needs to be properly captured and preserved. Check our
Web site for further information and then email or call us" or whatever
wording seems best in each situation. There will never be enough RM
technology wizards to intervene early in new technology adoption and use.

However, once a technology seems to be becoming useful for information
management or communication, then RMs can intervene successfully by
illustrating the risks of information loss from poor recordkeeping or
retention failures. Just communicating that it is THEIR responsibility to
assure the information is appropriately managed can start the discussions.
An RM should not have to actually recommend a solution, but should become a
part of the decision process in technology selection and implementation.

I think that RMs all too often think it is their responsibility to find the
solution. All they have to really do is ask these questions:

1. Does the information that you (IT/Business user) are processing in the
new technology have to be retained? Do you know? Don't know?
2. In what format and in what system? For how long? Who will be asking for
it? When?
3. How do you know? Why are you so sure about that? Who else is doing it
that way successfully?
4. So you are comfortable that this use of technology will not get us into
trouble?
5. If the company is requested this information during legal actions or
audits can YOU recall it and produce it?
6. Great! Now - sign this document that says you are responsible for records
preservation and production from this system, now and in the future.

I predict you will get a new vision of what is meant by "Shock and Awe". Get
the picture? Draw them into letting you be a part of the solution design,
while not letting them out of their own responsibilities, and not getting
yourself snared into having to know all of the technologies that anyone in
the organization might use some day.

THEY need to suggest some solutions and explain how the solutions will
assure information is managed within RM and other Information Management
policies. Ask questions that identify "issues". If you do that you have
addressed the professional challenges you are expected to address.

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions
www.infotechdecisions.com