Sender:
From:
"bruce.norman.smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:33:26 -0400
Hi,

Can anyone help with the request below regarding access/dissemination from
an IT architect/developer?  I don't have time to dive into the technical
algorithms and graphs for lossless compression, so I'm hoping someone out
there has already done this...  Our organization is using PDF/A-2 (ISO
32000-1 / PDF version 1.7.) for this particular business process.

Thanks!

Bruce

=====

Following on your previous very helpful advice, can you advise on viable or
recommended image encodings (e.g. JPG, JPEG2000) for embedding in PDF/A for
long term document preservation?

For example I just read this unverified blog
statement<http://superuser.com/questions/171267/convert-pdf-file-with-images-in-jpeg2000-to-pdf-with-non-jpeg2000-images>,
“pdf images using jpeg2000 compression. The iPad can't display these images
in the pdf”. Means we should be very careful what encoding we pick.

I’m having trouble pinning down exactly what image compression PDF/A
permits, google hits are too scattered. I’m using this baseline list of
lossless image compression
algorithms<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_data_compression#Graphics>
.