Sender:
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:59:30 -0700
From:
My name's Dan Gillean, I am a second year MAS student a
Hello all,

My name's Dan Gillean, I am a second year MAS student at the School of Library, Archival, and Information Studies (SLAIS) at the University of British Columbia. I spent my summer working for the BC Government in Records Management Operations.

Re: Are Scanned Documents Records?

In BC, they have a RIM Policy based on the Canadian General Standards Board's 72.11-93, Microfilm and Electronic Images as Documentary Evidence. The following is excerpted from the BC Government's RIM Policy 5-10-02, available at: http://www.gov.bc.ca/citz/iao/records_mgmt/policy_standards/rim_manual/pol05_10_02.pdf

"This standard includes the following framework of ten points of proof to help ministries and agencies address the evidentiary requirements for scanned images:
3.1.1 Organization must be able to prove where the source data and information recorded in the database originated.
3.1.2 Organization must be able to prove that recording of data and information occurred contemporaneously with, or within a reasonable time after, the event or transaction to which it relates.
3.1.3 Organization must be able to prove that the data and information used for the records is the product of routine business activities.
3.1.4 Organization must supply the court with a certificate stating that the data and information in the records is not privileged.
3.1.5 Organization must be able to prove that data entry was part of regular business procedure.
3.1.6 Organization must be able to prove that data input conformed to industry standard practices.
3.1.7 Organization must be able to prove that it relied on the data in the database to make business decisions.
3.1.8 Organization must prove the accuracy and reliability of the software used to manage the data and information and produce the records.
3.1.9 Organization must prove that throughout the lifecycle of the data, a responsible person has documented all alterations to the system.
3.1.10 Organization must be able to prove implemented security features sufficient to guarantee the integrity of the records."

These conditions do not guarantee the admissibility of an imaged record, as many others have pointed out in this thread. They do however create the framework in which a set of minimum conditions might be identified to create a RIM policy (which in BC, is also informed by the Electronic Transactions Act, and the Canadian Evidence Act). In BC, a records schedule for "Redundant Source Records" is currently in draft form, which will allow government employees to destroy scanned originals if there are sufficient controls in place, if there is abundant and verified metadata, if the above 10 conditions have been met, etc.... and also depending on the nature, use, and original retention requirements (legal, fiscal, operational, archival, etc) of the original.

Dan Gillean
MAS/MLIS Candidate
School of Library, Archival, and Information Studies
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, Canada