Sender:
From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:46:40 -0400
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> From the article:
>
> The information was contained on backup tapes from an electronic health care
> record used in the military health system to capture patient data from 1992
> through Sept. 7 2011.The information may include Social Security numbers,
> addresses and phone numbers, and some personal health data such as clinical
> notes, laboratory tests and prescriptions, the release stated.
>
> "Patient data" and "clinical notes, laboratory tests and prescriptions"
> indicated it went a lot deeper- and this type of info on 4.9M peeps would
> tend me to believe there would be a LOT of data...
>
> But the article DID SAY "The information MAY INCLUDE..."
>
> So who knows?

I think I have to agree with Larry as much as I hate to:>)  Chances
are they are looking at lots of data.  Based on what I can remember
(age does wonders to the brain :>)) I'm suspecting much of the
information before 2000  would be limited to SSN, addresses, telephone
numbers and insurance/claims.  TRICARE officially into existence in
1997.  Before that it was know by another wonderful military acronym,
CHAMPUS.

Unless the old data was migrated (which the article doesn't address)
may be difficult to access.  As computer and technology systems
were/are upgraded more and more information was/is being collected,
including notes, lab results, prescriptions, etc.  If I were in
TRICARE say after 2004/2005 I might be concerned.

Interestingly I along with my father may be affected.  Since I was
with 1992 through 1993 I am not all that worried.  But my father, now
that is a different story.  He is an Air Force retiree living in San
Antonio and must use TRICARE for all of his medical needs.

Just makes one wonder - the Feds and health community rush to go
"electronic."  We are being told that security is a real concern and
being addressed.  Yet we are seeing breaches like this more and more.
 Scary thinking about it...

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Newtown Square, PA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]