Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 13:03:37 -0700
> I think I have to agree with Larry as much as I hate to:>)  Chances
> are they are looking at lots of data.  Based on what I can remember
> (age does wonders to the brain :>))

Love these statement appearing together... I have to wonder if the reason
Bruce hates agreeing with me is that age has impacted his thinking processes
or ??  =)  Ahh the jabs "old friends" trade publicly...

> Interestingly I along with my father may be affected.  Since I was
> with 1992 through 1993 I am not all that worried.  But my father, now
> that is a different story.  He is an Air Force retiree living in San
> Antonio and must use TRICARE for all of his medical needs.

I'd assume one or the other of you would have to get a notice of this, so as
they say on the nightly news, "..stay tuned for more on this story..."

> Just makes one wonder - the Feds and health community rush to go
> "electronic."  We are being told that security is a real concern and
> being addressed.  Yet we are seeing breaches like this more and more.
>  Scary thinking about it...

Yep, especially seeing as the systems they point to for demonstrating the
success of electronic medical/health records are the Federal and Military
systems and the records of military and as of 2 years ago FEDERAL EMPLOYEES
were among the firs tot go ALL electronic.

In defense of what happened here (to a degree) is that this breach was due
to a human failing. Whoever made the decision to allow a person to transport
these in their personal vehicle and to LEAVE THEM IN THE UNATTENDED VEHICLE
should be looking for work now.

As discussed with someone else off-line, I've always told anyone contracting
with a commercial service provider for the storage of media, ALWAYS make
sure your provider has a vehicle fleet with independent A/C units for the
passenger and cargo compartments, and that theone of the cargo area does not
require the engine to be running to work.

The only acceptable excuse for me would be if they were stopping to have
lunch or dinner at Mi Tierra!  http://www.mitierracafe.com/  =P

Larry
--
*Lawrence J. Medina