Sender:
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:27:26 -0600
From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Mohammad,

I am not aware of specific standards for imaging Canadian records. You might think about ANSI standards if you are looking for something to fall bak on to justify decisions.
300 dpi is the default resolution. Bill Roach floated the idea of imaging at 100 dpi for current records. I tend to agree with him on this (shocking). The original 300 dpi was set in part because of quality of resolution gathered from older records. Today the print records are much higher quality. The need for 300 dpi might not be needed. The 100 dpi resolution lowers storage requirement and reduces the impact to bandwith. Might be worth considering. You might also look into macro compression (Lizardtech).

Keep in mind the 300 dpi only applies to non-archival records. If you have archival records that you want ot image the requirements are much higher. You would be looking at 600 dpi.

Chris Flynn