Sender:
From:
"Elizabeth W. Adkins, CRM, CA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2012 17:04:03 -0500
Please join ARMA NOVA for our January chapter meeting on January 18.  Our
program theme for this chapter season is “From Records Management to
Information Governance.”  We will be exploring how we as RIM professionals
need to expand our focus beyond records retention and disposition, to a full
range of lifecycle management governance strategies and processes.  Our
speaker for this meeting is Bill Sharp, who will talk about best practices for
building a records management deployment in SharePoint Server 2010.

In this demo-rich session, Bill English will show you how to build a Records
Management deployment from scratch, utilizing the tools that Microsoft has
provided in SharePoint Server 2010.  This session will assume you have
knowledge of taxonomies, file plan development, basic compliance knowledge
and general ECM principles.  Come and learn the good and the bad with RM in
SharePoint!

Demos include:  (1) Installing the Microsoft Managed Metadata Service; (2)
Configuring the Managed Metadata Service; (3) Working with Content Type
Syndication; and (4) Metadata managed at both the MMS layer and the site
collection layer.

Critical Decision Points Discussed:
1.  Which metadata will need to be input into the SharePoint System so that
information is swiftly and easily findable.  This discussion takes into account
the concepts of precision and recall.
2.  Staffing requirements and skill development requirements to build and
maintain the records management system in SharePoint
3.  Existing decisions that must exist in the environment in order for the
SharePoint system to be successfully leveraged in support of organization goals
4.  Metadata Governance and Design in SharePoint

About our Speaker:
Bill English - is an industry leader, author, and educator specializing in
SharePoint Products and Technologies. As Chief Executive Officer of EBA
Companies (Mindsharp and The Best Practices Conference), Bill draws on his
experience in business management to teach and consult about mapping
SharePoint features to business processes and information organization needs.
As a former psychologist in Minnesota for nine years, English uses his
knowledge of human behavior to help companies implement change through
software platforms. Microsoft has acknowledged Bill’s professional
contributions to the SharePoint community by awarding him the Most Valuable
Professional (MVP) award for ten consecutive years. Since 2000, Bill has
authored 14 books on Exchange and SharePoint products, including the
Administrator’s Companion for SharePoint Server 2010 by Microsoft Press.  Bill
lives in Minnesota with his wife and two children, where summer is the six best
days of the year!

Logistics:

DATE:  Wednesday, January 18, 2012

TIME:
5:30 PM  Registration
6:00 PM  Dinner
7:00 PM  Program
PLACE:  Marco Polo Restaurant, 245 Maple Avenue, West Vienna, VA 22180
703.281.3922
PARKING:  Free at the restaurant
METRO:  	Vienna Metro plus a five minute cab ride
COST:  $25.00 Member, $30.00 Non-Member
Register at www.armamar.org/nova