Sender:
From:
Raymond Rozman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 14:53:58 -0500
Hello RM Listserv members, and Happy New Year!

I am Raymond Rozman, a current student at Indiana University SLIS in his
last semester before graduation. I have a previous M.A. in Medieval Studies
from Leeds University, but as the academic job market is not a sunny place
right now, Library Science was the way to go. I am currently taking courses
in pursuit of a Rare Books Specialization, but most of my coursework is now
geared towards finding jobs in the records management industry; I happened
upon the discipline after a fortuitous internship experience this past
summer, and I have been hotly pursuing opportunities ever since.

I am gearing up for the job search, and have a few questions I would like
to pose to the listserv in addition to my introduction. Finding quality
work placement is particularly difficult for young, inexperienced folks
these days, so any and all advice – or leads – you wish to offer me will be
greatly appreciated and remembered. I hope to use the time I have in my
final semester to develop myself and my skills to set me out on a path for
growth.

What sort of job opportunities are there in Records Management at the entry
level? What opportunities are there for advancement in the field? Where
should I be looking?

What would you identify as core skills for beginning records workers? What
skills and qualifications demand employers' attention and set them apart
from other applicants?

What problems or opportunities exist in the discipline, i.e., where can
problem solving be put to good use?

Does anyone know of jobs currently available for people in my situation? Is
anyone interested in seeing a resume?

Regards,
 Raymond W. Rozman III
 2200 E Lingelbach Ln., Apt. 1302