Sender:
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 12:43:44 -0500
From:
"Pelletier, Lizette" <[log in to unmask]>
We do a history of "record keeping technology" as part our records management training for newly appointed or elected town clerks.  I have four original "floppy" disks from a Phillips Magnavox word processor on which I was able to write my Masters Thesis in 1984.  Each disk held a little more than one chapter's worth of information about seven pages double spaced.  My 16-year-son is only aware of floppy disks because of my professional work.

<< snip>>

I actually have several punch cards, 8", 5-1/4", and 3-1/2" disks that I "salvaged" from a records inventory many years back, and you should see the eyes of younger generations when I show these at a RM training session, it is still funny to see their reaction.  I guess that dates me too!

Thanks.
Earl
<<snip>>

Lizette Pelletier
Public Records Archivist

Office of the Public Records Administrator
Connecticut State Library
231 Capitol Ave.
Hartford, CT 06106
(860) 757-6662

http://www.ctstatelibrary.org/organizational-unit/public-records

"Freedom of Information doesn't mean anything if you can't find the records." - Dr. Anne Thurston, OBE, director of the International Records Management Trust.

"In the moment of crisis, the wise build bridges and foolish build dams." - Nigerian Proverb