Sender:
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:12:49 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Preserving Family History, One Memory at a Time - NYTimes.com
> Until recently, Jessie Leiken, 27, a union organizer in Brooklyn, was
> confident that she knew about the major adventures of her mother’s life: a
> hot-air balloon ride in Egypt, a snowshoeing excursion in Montana, a
> camel-meat meal in Morocco. But two weeks ago, an email appeared in Ms.
> Leiken’s inbox from her mother, Nancy Mills, 64, that told an entirely new
> tale:
>
> Source:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/business/preserving-family-history-one-memory-at-a-time.html?_r=0

I can see the upside to this.... but the RM in my sees a LOT of potential
downsides.

Too many unanswered obvious questions, like:

Where is content stored
How is it backed up
How is it protected from access
How is it sorted/organized
Unlimited? Seriously? for $49/yr?
Six family members... like this is controlled HOW?

I dunno.. as people start dumping family history out into a 'private
public' space, there's a deeper pool of information to dig into to build
false identities or steal identities... or just compromise someone's
information.

And its' a start-up... unless it's making a ton of money, how long before
it gets sold/merged/bought/spun or whatever and what happens to your
contract and content then? and if it DOES start making a ton of money...
well, that makes things ripe for sale, too.

My suggestion is take a close look at the T&C of anything like this you buy
into before you offer it up to family members as the next best thing to
sliced bread and they start dumping info into it on your say so.

In many cases, our younger citizens are VERY trusting of social media and
services that are free or low cost, and they don't have a lot of concern
about abandoning accounts or content and walking away... they've 'grown up'
with these types of services and technology being available to them... but
they don't have much concern about privacy issues.  Those of us with more
to lose on the other hand are a bit more skeptical.

All of that said, if you ARE looking to build a family history (or if
you've already started doing so) and you're looking for an option of where
to store it and be able to provide other family members access to it...
give this some consideration www.chronicleoflife.com I have no association
of financial ties to this organization... but I have to tell you, I REALLY
LIKE their business model!!

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*