Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2014 07:12:55 -0700
On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Starck, Brian <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> In our case we have network home drives that we can already search if
> needed for ediscovery.  However, we limit the amount of space that people
> have and are developing a policy for them to request additional space.  I
> think my issue was that 1 TB of space for each employee is way too much for
> a personal drive.  And yes, we have people that are using C: drives, flash
> drives, external hard drives, etc. but we are also trying to get a handle
> on those devices and at least create a policy around their usage (being
> able to enforce that policy is another issue).  I think it is a training
> and compliance awareness issue that just hasn't been highlighted over the
> years.

Not 'picking on' Brian, just responding to the latest message in the thread.

The one thing that I've seen common to most of the responses to the post
that is always troubling to me is how organizations are quick to set limits
on the volume of information individuals can store on 'personal drives' but
they seem to fail to pay any attention to the age of the information or
whether it's a record or not.

Our policy has always focused on not commingling business records and
personal information or non-records, and ensuring records in storage are
NOT retained beyond their assigned retention period.  We haven't gotten
there yet on the e-mail side, and I don't think many have, but we are at
the point of assigning retention 'buckets' to e-mail and getting users to
remove content from the in/out box if it is a record with retention beyond
180 days.

To simply set a limit at "1 TB", or any other arbitrary volume, and not
ensure non-records are stored with records is a bigger issue for
e-discovery (and for cost) to any organization.

Brian said "I think it is a training and compliance awareness issue..." and
he's dead on there.  Policy is a great thing, if people are clear regarding
their roles and responsibilities and procedures to comply with the policy,
and if they're trained and there are periodic assessments (NEVER use the
term 'audit' internally) you'll get there.

No question, when implementing a "new process or system" is the perfect
time to establish a CLEAR policy on how things will be done on a
day-forward basis, then start working on the legacy content.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*