Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:08:52 -0700
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Gary Link <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So we have autoclassification tools that will analyze specified targets
> (document repositories, file shares) and autoclassify existing files using
> policies around metadata and advanced contextual classification. Then you
> can declare, or migrate, or delete (defensible deletion).
>
> But what about a tool that does something simpler, and autoclassified at
> records creation, based on business function?
>
> What about a Portal that opens on everyone's computer and they can perform
> no tasks or operations except through the portal. (Except if you were
> going to work in a major structured data application).
> On everyone's dashboard is a selection of functions. These are each
> individual staff member's specific functions based on their position
> description. And each function is tied to a record series in the
> organization's records retention schedule.
> So you then select the function you plan to work in (ex: Update Records
> Retention Schedule), and then create a task (or open an existing task). A
> task can be a short, simple action like "answer a retention question," or
> a big project like "Implementation project for X application." And that is
> the only manual thing you do:  is give the task a name. You do not
> manually classify anything. The system gives the task its Start Date. You
> can give the task an End Date, but if you don't, after six months of
> inactivity within that task the system gives it an End Date of the last
> date you were in it.
> For each task the system creates a folder, and every document you create
> or receive while in that task is filed in that folder. You use the regular
> production programs you always do - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher,
> whatever.
> The system also creates a folder structure in your email based on your
> functions and tasks and you can drag & drop or send & save. It looks like
> a regular email folder but the email is actually filed in the system
> folder for that task and not on your email server.
> At the End Date, the system can be set to delete duplicates and previous
> versions of versioned documents. And can be set to send the folder to a
> different tiered storage after a specified period after the End Date.
> The first of every year (or time period you designate), you receive a list
> of tasks (folders) whose retention period have expired. Your only choice
> is to exception folders from scheduled deletion, and any exception has to
> be approved by your supervisor and the RIM dept.
> An information architecture with retention based on a functional records
> retention schedule.
>
> Are there any autoclassification tools out there that work like that?

I don't normally include the entire text of a prior post, but in this case
I decided to... in the event some people missed the post.

First, let me say I STRONGLY DISLIKE the term "CLASSIFICATION" being used
in this sense and would MUCH RATHER see the term 'categorization' used,
because that's what really is taking place.  Unfortunately, the vendors
selling this 'stuff' latched onto the improper term early on and here we
are.

And for those of you scratching their heads thinking "what's the diff...
it's getting sorted, right?"   There are those of us, not a ton on this
list, but quite a few in RM who actually deal with truly CLASSIFIED
records.  And so when the term 'classification' is used, red flags go up
and bells go off.  But I digress....

What you're asking about here is what is typically referred to as "Role and
Rule Categorization".  This is where a file structure is established
(typically) to house records for a specific portion of an organization
(such as a Department) based on the role a person serves and the types of
records they regularly generate and receive.  It's sort of a hybrid/cross
between a functional AND organizational schedule.

But even in this case, it's ONLY able to be automated AFTER the folder
structure is established, and the roles for individuals placing content
into the folders have been clearly identified. And where this type of
system becomes problematic is when people change roles or move
organizationally... you have to adjust the 'permissions' and
'relationships' between the individual and the folders.  It's NOT an easy
process.

Thew example I've regularly used when discussing this type of a system is
the Procurement function in an organization.  For purposes of this
discussion, I'm going to simplify this as much as possible... so don't
expect this to be an all-encompassing process. GENERALLY, there are
purchase orders and contracts... and a ton of related supporting documents
for both.  and GENERALLY, the division on responsibilities are based on a
dollar value of the two, say up to/under $2000; up to/under $200,000; and
over $200,000.  The responsibilities for individuals to engage in
procurement activities are assigned based on these amounts, and so
documents they receive and generate are GENERALLY 'filed' together, and
sorted by PO/Contract number.  Also, the retention is GENERALLY the same
based on a fiscal threshold, so the folders can also inherit the retention
from the retention schedule (automatically) and apply it to the content in
the folder.

Your folder structure might look something like:

Purchase Orders <2000
Contracts <2000

Purchase Orders >2001 <200000
Contracts >2001 <200000

Purchase Orders >200001
Contracts >200001

And ABC, a purchasing agent who is responsible for transactions under or
over a certain amount would be relationally tied to a folder that matches
that transactional level, and when a document is "actioned", it would
"automagically" be transferred to that folder.

But, as mentioned, if ABC changes roles and NOW is assigned a higher (or
lower) transactional level of authority.... and you change the rules for
his actioned content... WHAT HAPPENS to all the legacy content in the
system?  And if his/her status is temporary and changes back, what happens
then?  Or what if he/she leaves procurement all together, but remains
elsewhere in the organization and is STILL "actioning" content?

SOMEONE would need to maintain some type of crosswalk related to the
individuals who has assigned 'roles' related to 'rules' within the
structure to be able to explain (say, during an audit) why records stored
in the system that may have moved form folder to folder or location to
location moved... and I can guarantee you I WOULDN'T WANT TO BE THE ONE who
maintained that table or had to explain it to an auditor.

So can it be done "automagically" SURE it CAN be done... should it be
done?  YMMV.... or as we say here in "Listserv Land"... it depends. =)

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*