Sender:
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:26:02 -0500
Subject:
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
> From: Laura <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> Subject: Vital Records
>
> I'm looking for best practices in the retention of vital records.  Specifically,
> estate documents prepared by a law firm.  We are debating whether or not
> the firm should retain the vital records in an off-site vault or if the original
> documents should be given to the client.  Thoughts?

If you consider using an offsite storage company to protect your documents in their vault you should NOT assume that they are storing them in a vault just because they are offsite.

A dramatic change has occurred in offsite storage industry as over 1000 companies have now been reduced to less than half of that number. Mergers and consolidations have not only eliminated many, many vaults but the consolidations now mean that these records centers are now huge. When fires occur, the loss of documents plunge entire regions of the country into Disaster Recovery.

In the last 32 years, FIRELOCK has installed over 100 of our vaults in offsite storage firms. But over the last 7 years, many of these companies have been bought up. In many of the major cities, these vaults no longer exist as the company acquiring the independent company remove the vaults because their contract specifically excludes any form of protection of Vital Records. If you take a moment to read their contract,  it warns the client “that the client alone is responsible for protecting their records” and the offsite company is excluded from this requirement of protection. Their contract and the NFPA 232 Standard specifically state the Records Manager is the “Responsible Party” and you alone have the liability for verifying the fire protection in your own records center and those of the vendors you select.  This is a heavy responsibility.

Before you casually send records offsite, documents or media, take a trip to inspect the  storage environment and ask the vendor to specifically define the level of protection you are being provided. By doing this you not only protect your Vital Records but also your career.

Glen’s advice is right on.  Although in Estate Records and Last Will and Testament, the client is often looking for the separate and secure location to protect the estate from tampering. Defining the “one true” will and testament is one of the roles the law firm provides for the client.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM