Sender:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 20:09:30 +0000
From:
"Kennedy, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
cc: "Marks, Tammy" <[log in to unmask]>
I'm looking for some advice from my listserv colleagues.

The Maine Records Management program is in the process of updating our policies and procedures and looking at ways to improve the following:

1)      Agency appointments of Records Officers and Assistants

2)      Records Schedule updates

Because of retirements at the Maine State Archives, our current Records Management staff has only been in their positions for approximately 3 years.  During this time, we have found a deficiency in agency Records Officers and also an exceedingly large percentage of records schedules which have not been updated for 20 years or more.

What policies or procedures do other states have in place to get agencies to appoint Records Officers and Assistants.  Are there criteria by which you determine the number of ROs per agency (by agency population, geography, divisions/bureaus, etc.)?  In our state, a Records Officer is an added duty to an already overtasked workload.  It is not a created position.  We are having a difficult time getting cooperation from some of our agencies to appoint Records Officers.  Do any states have policies in place  for agencies which do not comply with appointing Records Officers or updating their schedules - such as not accepting any new records until compliance is reached?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Felicia

Felicia Kennedy
Records Management Analyst
Maine State Archives