Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:47:30 -0800
On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Fairchild Jessica <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> A big thank you to all who responded to my post about terminology.  The
> convention.  I am leaning toward 'transitory records' because it still
> engages the concept of record (we are a public agency), and yet provides
> some differentiation from the more formal or official records that we must
> maintain to provide evidence of our activities.

Naturally, not EVERYONE follows the Federal guidance (does FAA weigh in on
your records?) and definitions for records, but if your program IS subject
to Federal scrutiny/regulation, sometimes it's advisable to speak their
language.  If you have identified records by some term and use that to
explain why/what you have doe with them (especially during an assessment or
audit)

36 CFR (1220.18) provides the following:

Non-record materials

Those Federally owned informational materials that do not meet the
statutory definition of records (44 U.S.C. 3301) or that have been excluded
from coverage by the definition. Excluded materials are extra copies of
documents kept only for reference, stocks of publications and processed
documents, and library or museum materials intended solely for reference or
exhibit.

Temporary record

Any Federal record that has been determined by the Archivist of the United
States to have insufficient value (on the basis of current standards) to
warrant its preservation by the National Archives and Records
Administration. This determination may take the form of:

(1) Records designated as disposable in an agency records disposition
schedule approved by NARA; or

(2) Records designated as disposable in a General Records Schedule.

Transitory Records (only directly referred to in 1236 on e-mail)

Records with a very short-term retention period of 180 days or less as
provided by GRS 23, Item 7, or by a NARA-approved agency records schedule

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*