Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2015 19:56:05 +0000
From:
Glen Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Fourth of July Celebrations
What do you think is the biggest American holiday? The most significant and uniquely American holiday would have to be the Fourth of July, the day when the United States celebrates its independence from Britain. You might think that it became a holiday immediately after the signing of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, but actually it didn't become a tradition until after the War of 1812.
By the 1870s, the Fourth of July was the most important nonreligious holiday on the calendar. All across the country, on that day, towns and cities held celebrations with parades, barbecues, and fireworks displays.

Back in the 1870s, the Fourth of July was "the big event of the year," according to Nettie Spencer, a pioneer from Portland, Oregon. The holiday included a parade with floats, a band, and a speaker. "First the speaker would challenge England to a fight and berate the King and say that he was a skunk. In the afternoon we had what we called the 'plug uglies'--funny floats and clowns who took off on the political subjects of the day," said Spencer. At that time, the Fourth of July made people think about what it meant to be independent from Britain.

More than 200 years have passed since the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and our independence from Britain is sometimes taken for granted.
Today, the Fourth of July holiday is still known for celebrations with family and friends. The holiday's importance has inspired the creation of everything from the lyrics to "Yankee Doodle Dandy" ("I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy ...born on the Fourth of July...") to movies like "Independence Day." America's independence has always been an important aspect of our country, and we will protect it from anyone (or anything) who tries to challenge it.

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/jp/celebrate/jp_celebrate_fourth_1.html

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or privileged and protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by mistransmission. If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, or copying of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your computer system. Thank you.