Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2015 15:04:50 +0000
From:
Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Deb,

I worked in aerospace for 28 years, and I have always felt that procedural
documents should avoid containing specific data that may be subject to
change (e.g., employee names, department names, numerical values),
particularly if those data are called out in a separate document, such as
a retention schedule.  Instead, the procedure should reference those
documents that contain the specifics.

This is primarily for efficiency: not only does a retention schedule need
to be periodically updated, but if specific retention periods are also
written into other documentation, every document in which a retention
period is written must be updated, as well (just as you point out).  This
is a duplication of effort that adds no value.

I am not familiar with the specific approach used at your company, but
might suggest that the records capture tables include only a reference to
the specific record categories (or other identifiers), rather than to any
specific retention periods.

Just one womanıs opinion.